Butter Chicken! The name alone can bring water to your mouth and make you want to enjoy this perfect Punjabi dish. This iconic Butter chicken satisfies your intense craving for something spicy and creamy. Most Historians claim that it was invented in the kitchens of Moti Mahal.
Punjabi Murkh Magnani, which is the other Punjabi name of this dish, has gained much popularity across the globe and especially in the regions of Punjab. It can be used as a starter or can be served with naan at dinner.
Well, this delicious dish can be prepared at home easily and the recipe is completely simple. Here, in this blog, I have detailed the whole process along with the ingredients to be used. Just follow the simple steps given and you can prepare and enjoy this delightful and appetising dish right at your home.
1 cup/6 tablespoons butter
2 lbs chicken breasts
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 diced yellow onion
1 tsp tomato paste
2 green cardamoms
¼ tsp sugar
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp kasoori methi
Pinch of methi powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cups heavy chilled cream
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoon tandoori masala
Salt and pepper
You can buy these ingredients from the nearest grocery shop or they are easily available at various online stores like Grofers, amazon and many others. You can use big basket offers to avail heavy discounts on all your ingredients.
- First of all, Wash the chicken under running water and marinate with lemon juice, chilli powder and salt for 20 minutes.
- Marinate the chicken with yogurt, kasoori methi, oil, ginger garlic paste and garam masala and refrigerate overnight or at least 3 to 4 hours.
- Grill the chicken in an oven or stove top.
For stove top method, add one tsp of butter and add the marinade. Fry on high flame and keep stirring constantly until it is cooked.
To grill it in the oven, preheat the oven at 240 C for at least 20 minutes. Grill it until the meat is cooked well.
MAKING BUTTER CHICKEN
- Heat half the quantity of butter in the pan. Add dry spices, ginger garlic paste, green chillies and fry till it turns fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, cumin seeds, red chilli powder, sugar and salt to the pan. Mix and cook well until the sauce becomes thick.
- Pour 1 cup of water. Add methi powder and nuts. Adjust the water according to your requirement.
- Add the prepared chicken, white butter, fresh cream, green chillies and cashew.
- Stir and simmer for at least 5 to 7 minutes until the chicken becomes soft and tender.
- Cook till chicken is done.
- Melt the butter in another pan and pour it in the chicken.
- Garnish this Punjabi dish with coriander leaves and serve with naan or rice.
- Yogurt/ Curd: If Greek yogurt is not available, you can use curd or thick yogurt too.
- You can use cubed boneless, skinless chicken thighs if cubed chicken breasts are not available to you.
- Ghee can be replaced by 1 tablespoon of butter or Oil.
- If you do not have cashew nuts in your hand, you can use almonds in their place.
- You can use a cup of milk or table cream if you don’t want to use heavy cream.
This easy Butter chicken recipe can be made in 35 minutes and is SUPER delicious. This tasty as well as nutritious dish is so simple and easy to make.
I hope you find this blog useful and will surely try this recipe at your hope and surprise your family.
Happy Cooking…!! 😊