Often people relate fitness to building muscles and losing weight. They usually forget the importance of muscular strength and flexibility which is the actual key to physical fitness is. Strong muscles and good endurance power are primary components enabling the body movement for lifting things and carry out day-to-day activities. There are many reasons why muscular strength exercises should be a part of our daily workout plan. These workout routines improve muscular strength, build muscles, strengthen ligaments and bones. Check out the exercises for building muscle and strength on Indianworkouts.
How to Increase Muscle Strength?
Building muscle strength reduces the risks of fall and injuries. It helps you maintain healthy body weight, increases bone mass and prevents the occurrence of joint conditions such as osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and more. Also, it delays aging of the bones, improves posture and enhances flexibility. So, before it’s too late, make building muscle strength your priority. Here is a list of muscle strengthening exercises.
These workout routines make your muscles work harder than the usual. Usually, exercises for muscle strength involves body weight training and working against resistance.
- Weight lifting exercises with dumbbells: One of the most effective ways to build muscles and muscle strength is working out with free weights. For beginners, dumbbells are the best option. Starting with small weight dumbbells is a good idea as it helps you build stability. Work on each muscle with the help of dumbbells. There is no recommended time period, but at least 20 minutes devoted to a particular session two to three times a week is advisable. Perform 8 to 12 repetitions in sets of three for each exercise.
- Barbells training: This is a highly advanced level of training which is not to be performed by beginners. It involves performing three fundamental exercises, squats, bench press, and deadlifts. This type of training is usually practiced by weightlifters and athlete for muscular strength, increased flexibility, and balanced posture.
- Bodyweight training: This is a powerful form of exercise for building muscle strength. This type of muscle workout does not require any machines or equipment. The person uses his or her own body weight as resistance against gravity. It is the best form of exercise to improve balance, strength, flexibility, and posture without the use of any extra equipment. By performing a variety of exercises at home or gym, one can accomplish a stronger body and endurance. Here are a few exercises for muscle strength.
- Crunches: Crunches does not only help to flatten your belly and lose body fat but also works on abdominal muscles and strengthens the core of your body. Strong core promotes good posture and an attractive front torso. Beginning with classic crunches, there are several variations to include in your workout regimen, such as twisting crunches, pelvic tilts, crossover crunches, leg raise, and reverse crunches.
- Squats and Lunges: These are the most popular lower-body weight exercises that facilitate the strengthening of your core, legs, butts and thigh muscles mainly. Making both a part of your regular workout routine builds muscle mass, strength and improves endurance levels. Also, they keep joints healthy and improves balance. However, practicing the right technique is imperative in order to avoid the chance of injury.
- Push-ups and planks: Push-ups is a classic exercise to work the upper-body while engaging core and shoulder muscles. As for planks, its impact extends to butts and thighs as well. Regular practice of each leads to great results.
Other impressive muscle strength exercises with body weight include burpees, sit-ups, glute bridge, box jumps, mountain climbers and more. These workout routines strengthen muscles and trigger weight loss.
- Strength Training with Resistance Band: This is one of the most cost-effective forms of strength training and you can literally practice this routine anywhere. All you need is a resistance band or a tube for all kinds of exercises. You can transform any bodyweight exercises by using a resistance band. Front squats, leg extensions, glute bridge, seated row, lying pullover, push-ups, bench press, and more can be done using these bands for building muscle strength. Try performing each exercise for at least 8-25 times for 2 to 3 sets each. You can take these bands with you while you are traveling and never miss a workout.
- Medicine Balls: Exercise ball or med balls are a wonderful way of strength training. These balls come in a very convenient size, however, the weight is much heavier. These balls can be thrown, caught or lifted for a variety of exercises. Since there are no handles to hold on to, you need to engage different muscles to handle the ball while performing various exercises. Overhead lunges, squats, swings, bridges, step jump, push-ups, biceps curl, crunches, and Romanian deadlift, all can be performed with this ball. 10-15 reps of each workout for 2 -3 times per session is great for attaining your goal.
- Yoga: Yoga is all about balance and flexibility. This ancient practice of asanas is best for building strength in muscles and body. A daily practice of asanas, vinyasas, and other dynamic poses builds muscle endurance. Usually, the yoga postures involve a sequence of body-weight exercises performed in repetitions. You can work and tone your entire body with a few yoga poses like Chair pose (Utkatasana), Dolphin Pose, Tree Pose (Vrksasana), Warrior II Pose (Virabhadrasana), Half Moon Pose (Ardha Chanrasasana), Boat Pose (Navasana), Cobra Pose (Bhunjangasana) and more. Experts advice performing Yoga at least four times a week that can help you maintain a healthy metabolism and replace strength training. Also, it enhances mental health.
For best results, make sure you combine muscular strength exercises with cardiovascular exercises such as walking, running and swimming. A combination of these promotes overall health, greater endurance, and fat loss. Most importantly, learn the correct technique before beginning strength exercises especially that involve lifting the weight. Also, remember to keep yourself hydrated all the time.