In general, men are becoming more aware about self-grooming with the male to female ratio in-salon increasing.
More men-specific grooming services such as Face of Man are popping up, offering a range of waxing and skin treatments. Even cosmetic clinics such as the Victorian Cosmetic Institute that typically used to target women, now offer men-specific services (e.g., anti-wrinkle injections, dermal fillers, and laser treatments).
If you are a guy who cares about their skin, make sure you follow these three essential daily hacks to slow down the effects of aging.
If you don’t moisturize your skin, it will eventually lose its natural look and will start to appear dull. This might make your skin develop some conditions such as eczema.
After selecting the right moisturizer, you will need to learn how to apply it to your skin. Most of the time, you will be advised to keep your skin as moisturized at possible at all times of the day. If you have dry skin, you should not wash your face frequently since that can end up drying your skin even further.
You will also need to use moisturising products that have been specifically developed for dry skin. Also, you should make sure you test the moisturiser on your neck before applying it to the rest of your skin. The test period should be at least one week.
2. Scrub Your Face
Exfoliation boosts collagen production, which is essential for radiant skin. Removing dead skin also improves the elasticity of the skin, making fine lines less prominent.
Exfoliation is essentially the process of scrubbing your face. This process removes unwanted dead skin that makes your skin look dull and unpleasant. Your epidermis serves an essential purpose of protecting your skin from unwanted bacteria.
By using an exfoliating gel, you will give your skin the smoothness and overall texture that it needs to have. Exfoliation could be used to protect your skin from acne, which is also a significant problem among some males.
When washing your face, following these tips to make the most of your routine:
- It may be tempting to scrub your cleanser on way too hard. This can cause irritation and result in inflammation.
- Pat your face dry with a towel rather than rubbing it with a towel.
- Similarly, use a clean towel or washcloth.
- Extreme temperatures can damage your skin and cause more inflammation and irritation. Instead, use warm water rather than extremely hot or cold water.
WIth regards to exfoliation products, there is a wide range to choose from. Some are better for oily skin and some are designed for sensitive skin. Depending on your skin type, you may consider consulting a dermatologist to find the best method and/or product particular to your skin.
3. Wear Sunscreen
Exposure to UV rays can cause premature aging of the skin. This can lead to wrinkles and leather skin.
Sunscreen works by having an active ingredient and the emulsion. The active ingredient does the sun protection work. The lotion, gel or foam is the emulsion part that carries the active ingredient. To find out more, refer to the Australian Cancer Council’s website.
Despite sunscreen being around for decades, most people continue to make the same mistakes. Here are a few tips to stay safe and reduce the aging effects of UV exposure:
- Sunscreen has an expiration date. If you do not know how old your sunscreen is, throw it away and buy a new one. This is because the effectiveness of sunscreen deteriorate over time.
- Use sunscreen everyday, even on cloudy days.
- Most people apply less than half the recommended amount of sunscreen. Most adults need a teaspoon of sunscreen for their head and neck, each limb and for the front and back of the body.
- When swimming or sweating, remember to reapply sunscreen.
Taking care of your skin is essential and must be part of your priorities. If you want to enjoy healthy and youthful skin for years to come, you should consider moisturising and scrubbing your skin regularly. Similarly, sun protection goes a long way.
About The Author
Hi there! I’m Katie – a freelance writer and topic researcher based in Australia. Outside of work, I like to Netflix binge and eat gelato. Plus, my fur baby keeps me busy.