Skin, the largest organ of the body can be affected by several factors such as pollution and dirt, changes in weather, chemicals in cosmetics, and hormonal changes. All these factors could contribute to dull-looking, flaccid skin. With good lifestyle habits and a few natural methods, you can maintain a glowing look for your skin.
The Science behind Glowing Skin
The main thing that causes the skin to glow is cell renewal. With age, this process slows down and the skin is affected by the above-mentioned factors. Another factor that contributes to glowing skin is increased blood circulation, mainly after exercise.
Increased blood supply to the skin flushes blood to the skin surface and makes it appear rosy or glowing. It can also regulate temperature and flush out more toxins via sweat glands.
Only a few minutes of care every day is required to bring the radiance back to your skin. You can also read this article on the 7 ways to improve skin radiance in addition to this article. Instead of spending thousands on beauty salons, achieving healthy-looking skin is much easier with natural methods such as the following.
- Cleansing – Daily cleansing helps to remove impurities, dirt as well as toxins from the skin. Use homemade cleansers, as these are suitable for all skin types. Use lukewarm water to wet your face. Take a mixture of aloe vera gel and honey to massage your face, leave it for 2 minutes and then rinse it off. A good cleanser will remove dirt, old makeup and sweat that could have accumulated on your skin. It deep nourishes your skin and gives it a youthful glow. Once your skin gets cleansed, apply a toner and moisturizer to lock in the moisture.
- Exfoliating – After cleansing, consider exfoliation to remove dead skin cells and blackheads that accumulate because of environmental pollution or different weather conditions. For dry skin, use natural exfoliators like almond powder mixed with honey, or oatmeal powder mixed with warm milk. Make sure to scrub once or twice a week, as this will leave your skin looking much brighter and allows skin products and moisturizers to penetrate the skin more effectively. Also, use a homemade toner with rose water or cucumber juice and combine it with lemon juice or diluted apple cider vinegar to restore the natural pH balance of your skin. Homemade moisturizers can also act as a screen against pollutants in our environment.
- Matcha green tea – Drinking Matcha green tea daily can give a healthy, beautiful glow to your skin. This tea includes epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) antioxidants and chlorophyll, making it an excellent base for a skin toner, as it can fight off impurities, reduce inflammation and get rid of toxins, providing a refreshed look. Its polyphenols and catechins can reduce the dangerous effects of UV radiation.
Matcha can also be mixed with many different natural ingredients such as honey, rosewater, coconut oil and yogurt to make a natural mask. While Matcha and honey can moisturize your skin and give it a healthy glow, Matcha and rose water can help reduce the signs of aging. Moreover, the nutritional benefits of matcha tea are aplenty. Matcha-based scrubs are also available that will rub away dead skin and dullness with their high caffeine content. Being an energy booster, it can also stimulate and rejuvenate skin cells.
- Stay hydrated – Dehydration is a major reason why the body functions in a less optimal way. It affects both dry and oily skin types. Drink at least six glasses of water even in the winter season, as it will help to flush out toxins quickly, clear your skin and make it shine. Along with drinking plenty of water each day, use a daily moisturizer suitable for your skin type to increase skin elasticity and keep it healthy and soft. Also, consider eating food with water content such as watermelon, apples, oranges, kiwi, and watery veggies like celery, tomato, cucumber, and carrot to hydrate skin from the inside out.
- Regular exercise – An active lifestyle can improve your skin’s appearance. Find time for exercise, as it can manage your stress levels and increase the oxygen circulation in the body. Chronic stress can accelerate cellular aging, leading to wrinkles. Exercise also helps to release toxins through sweat, which leads to clearer, firmer skin. Meditation and yoga can help moderate stress. Regular aerobic exercise will improve your blood circulation and provide a more glowing skin as a result. With help of kegel exercises, you can also improve and tighten your vaginal skin.
- Proper sleep – With poor sleep, the skin suffers. Sleep at least eight hours at night, since the skin cells renew themselves and collagen production increases during sleep and that provides the skin its elasticity, making you look beautiful, healthy and youthful. Good sleep is the most natural and easiest way to restore the glow.
- Healthy diet – A healthy and well-balanced diet also plays a key role in how your skin looks. Consider a diet rich in vitamin C, as it is a powerful antioxidant to fight against oxidative stress-induced damage. It also produces more collagen, thus leading to fewer wrinkles. Inflammation is a leading cause of wrinkle formation. Intake of foods with antioxidants such as blueberries, pomegranates, spinach, nuts, seeds and dark chocolate can reduce skin damage and inflammation. Try to include skin-boosting vitamins and minerals in your diet.
Along with following these tips, make sure that you avoid exposure to UV rays and apply a sunscreen lotion while going out, to reduce skin damage. Make sure to consult a dermatologist, if you notice any skin allergic condition.
Author Bio: Catalin is the founder of Ecommerce Platforms and Web App Meister. He blogs about matcha, Japanese lifestyle, and mindfulness at matcha-tea.com. He’s a design enthusiast and loves matcha, and is uber passionate about blockchain technology and travel.