8 Activities That Help You Age Gracefully
Ageing does more than just cause wrinkles, grey hairs, and sagging skin. Every cell, organ, and tissue in your body changes as you age, with some losing their functionality. Moreover, factors like sun exposure, metabolic issues, food and medication by-products, and genetic disposition can negatively affect your body’s condition.
Luckily, there are ways to counteract these elements and stay optimally healthy as you get older.
Ageing gracefully means having good physical and mental health and living your best life. It is more than just looking younger. So if you want to reverse the effects of aging, here are eight health optimisation tips from a trusted medical diagnostic centre for a better-looking, healthier, and more youthful you.
Exercise boosts muscle mass, strengthens your body, and optimises your health. Most importantly, it can reverse ageing by giving you higher energy levels and endurance, as well as improves your appearance.
Some of the anti-ageing exercise you can try include:
- Hanging leg raise – This may be a challenging exercise, but doing it can effectively work all of your muscles in your midsection. This is one of the best workout routines you can try if you want to build an immense amount of strength.
- Squats – Doing squats is the best way to work out your entire body, especially the hips, quads, and hamstrings. It helps boost your level of coordination and balance. Moreover, it reverses ageing by strengthening your bone density.
- Climbing stairs – This form of exercise provides an intense workout on your body’s lower section. It is one of the most leisurely activities that can work out all the muscles in your glutes, calves, hamstrings, and quadriceps.
- Walking – Though this is a common exercise, walking is considered a weight-bearing activity, forcing you to perform against the gravity surrounding you. And this can benefit both your muscles and bones.
- High impact movements – Engaging in high impact movements like forceful stepping and jumping will help boost your bone’s density.
- Aerobics – This is a form of cardio exercise that enhances the health of your brain, circulation, and health – all of which are essential to staying young.
- Resistance training – This is the way to go if you want to reverse your age at the cellular level. It enhances your endurance level and muscle strength. You can also add weights, dumbbells, bars, and bands.
- Reaction training – This form of exercise enhances your body, ability to retain information, reaction time, and balance. It includes engaging in Zumba or playing a sport like tennis.
Movement is one of the best types of anti-aging medicine. The key is to choose exercises that develop your body and mind.
2. Be kind to your skin.
The skin protects your body from different elements, provides sensation, and regulates your body temperature.
To ensure that it functions and looks its best at all times:
- Stay hydrated.
- Use gentle skin care products.
- Wear protective clothing and sunscreen when outside.
- Get an annual skin cancer screening.
3. Eat right
Always choose healthy foods. Unless you have food sensitivities, consider adding a portion of the following food in your diet:
- Lean protein like beans and fish
- Healthy fats
- Fruits and vegetables
- Cereals, pasta, rice or bread
- Dairy products like yogurt, cheese, and milk
Furthermore, use oils when cooking instead of solid fats. Stay away from unhealthy fats, refined sugars, and processed foods. Most importantly, keep your salt intake to a minimum.
4. Manage your stress.
Stress can negatively affect your body, causing wrinkles, premature aging, and a high risk of heart disease.
Some of the proven tips to relieve stress include:
- Embracing your age – Studies have shown that people who have a positive attitude towards ageing can recover better from disability and live longer. Ageing is inevitable, and accepting your age can make a huge difference.
- Spending time with your loved ones – A strong social network and meaningful relationships can boost your physical and mental well-being. Whenever possible, spend time with your family and friends to reduce loneliness, lower blood pressure and stress, and have better moods.
- Using relaxation techniques – Yoga is one of the proven relaxation techniques for managing stress. This is a mind-body practice that brings together mental and physical disciplines to help you achieve a relaxed mind. You can choose from different forms, styles, and intensities.
- Doing things you love – The best way to fuel your happiness is to engage in activities you love. For instance, you can pursue a new hobby, spend time in nature, or volunteer for a cause.
5. Drink plenty of water.
Besides keeping your skin healthier, water also improves brain functioning and increases your energy levels.
The amount of water you must drink in a day depends on:
- Your activity level
- Your gender
- How much you sweat
- How often you move your bowels and urinate
6. Get enough sleep.
Ideally, adults must get at least seven hours of sleep each night. Getting enough sleep helps you achieve good physical and mental health. It is proven to:
- Lower the risk of obesity, stroke, and heart disease
- Reduce inflammation
- Improve concentration and focus
- Reduce depression and stress
7. Take care of your teeth and mouth.
Proper oral care is crucial in keeping your teeth healthy (and also because gum diseases have been linked to stroke, heart diseases, and bacterial pneumonia). Besides proper brushing, flossing, and rinsing with a mouthwash, you also need to see your dentist regularly for early detection and treatment of possible infection, nutritional deficiencies, and other health issues like diabetes.
8. Visit your doctor regularly.
Paying a regular visit to your doctor is the best way to find problems early or even before they start. Depending on your lifestyle, age, existing conditions, and family history, you may need to see your doctor monthly or annually. Make sure to follow your physician’s advice and follow-up schedule. Most importantly, visit your doctor whenever you feel any concerning symptoms to avoid severe complications.
Ageing gracefully is about being happy and healthy as you grow older. Surround yourself with positive people, do things you enjoy, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you find it hard to deal with the significant changes that come with your advanced years, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. Talk to your doctor or other health professionals you trust about your concerns so they can help you find the best solutions.
Burak Cankat is the Wellness Director at Zoya Health and Wellbeing Resort in the UAE, with 18 years of experience in the Hospitality, Health and Well-being industry. The resort is a unique integrative well-being destination nestled between the sea and mangroves in Ajman, offering holistic packages that combine cutting-edge medical science, physiotherapy, fitness, nutrition, and the latest advance in aesthetics to nourish the body and invigorate the mind.