Having a proportionately shaped body is desirable for every individual in today’s world. But in all honesty, breast reduction surgery is not just about that. Breast reduction surgery is far from a mere cosmetic procedure. It has many more health benefits, especially for aging women, and is often suggested to middle aged women to avoid chronic diseases like breast cancer and help them get rid of back and chest pain.
If your body is petite, you might experience pain and discomfort due to heavy and big breasts. Sagging breast is another concern. But, many women have a question on their mind – Does breast reduction surgery work?
There are question marks over the effectiveness of breast reduction surgery itself.
Let’s address some of those issues in this article.
About the procedure
Also known as, ”reduction mammaplasty”, the procedure involves removing the skin, fat, and glandular tissues. The patient is given general anesthesia to not feel the pain caused by the surgery.
The procedure of breast reduction is slightly complex and requires an expert to be carried out to perfection. It should be done with a proper understanding of the pros and cons. Breast reduction is a type of plastic surgery, and hence the results may vary from the expectation, and one must be prepared for that.
The procedure must not be carried out on the bodies of recent mothers, lactating women, or those looking to bear a child in the future, as the surgery may impact their ability to breastfeed.
All in all, it is a safe procedure if performed by a certified specialist.
Results of Breast Reduction Surgery
- According to a renowned plastic surgeon from the USA, Dr. Steven Bernard (MD), most women feel a lot more lively and upbeat post their breast reduction surgery. Their self-esteem gets boosted, and they picture themselves as prettier. According to a study, around 95% of women feel better after their breast reduction surgery.
- The breasts will not only be reduced in size, but they also get a lift as the surgeon generally removes the excess tissue from the loose areas of the breast. So it is like getting two for the price of one.
- In terms of success rate, breast reduction is one of the most successful procedures. Most patients that opt for it show satisfaction with its results. And most of them don’t show any long term complications as well.
- In some cases, there may be a slight increase or decrease of nipple sensation, especially for a month or two after the procedure.
- The ability to breastfeed might get affected adversely in some women, and according to Dr. Bernard, it is impossible to predict it. Thus, one must be prepared for it.
- The scars, which are incision wounds, mostly occur from the nipple region to the bottom end of the breast stay prominent for a few months, and some might even last a lifetime.
Precautions and Post-Surgery Care
- Breast reduction is an expensive procedure, and thus, one must ascertain whether it is covered in insurance or not.
- While most women get discharged from the hospital the same day or the next day after the surgery, extensive care is required for at least a month or two. Also, there may be pain and soreness in the immediate aftermath, which must be allowed to subside before getting back to active life.
- Wearing tight inner-wear might be a big no after the surgery for a very long time. Also, one may not be able to find the right-sized cups after the surgery too.
- One must bring to the surgeon’s notice if there is any change in nipple sensation post-surgery to be worked on quickly.
All in all, breast reduction surgery is a relatively safe procedure and, provided all necessary precautions are taken, largely remains a successful one too.
Does it work? The answer is a resounding YES. It works and is generally a safe procedure. However, you need to ensure that you contact the best surgeon. They will explain all the pros, cons, cost, and post-care details.