Fitness Training – How to Train for Football
Training for football is a great way to get in shape and toughen up. However, this training is not for the faint-hearted since it involves all-out effort and dedication. In this article, we’ll talk about how to train for football.
- You need to set goals.
Setting short or long-term goals is crucial when it comes to training since these goals keep you going and motivated. You need to take time and figure out why you want to play the game.
Mark what you want to achieve on your mind and if possible, write it down on a piece of paper. The point is to always remember why you are doing what you are doing. With a clear set of goals and expectations, you are good to go.
- Determine what position you want to play.
Different positions require a different amount of skill, technique, and strength. Before kicking off your training for football, you need to know which position suits you best.
The following are the most common things you need to know about football positions:
- As a Quarterback, you need to be able to run, have excellent arm strength and most importantly, develop the ability to make a hit.
- As a Wide Receiver, you need to develop your speed, agility, strength, and stamina.
- As a Running Back, you need to have speed, special techniques to carry the ball, agility, and the awareness that they are tackled repeatedly. This goes without saying that you must be well built and versatile.
- As a Defender, you have to be very large in terms of physique. It’s important to be masculine because you have to tackle a lot and you will get pushed around a lot as well.
- If you are considering being a kicker or a punter, leg strength is everything. You need to have awesome leg strength since these positions hugely rely on legs and the ability to kick.
- Identify the best training kit.
In football, gears are everything. Since it is such an active physical activity, you will need the necessary gears to keep your body protected from getting injuries during your games. The most important protective gears include the helmet, shoulder pads, thigh pads, knee pads and most importantly, cleats.
It’s important to make sure that all your football gears, most especially, your cleats, are of high quality so that you can perform your best during your games. Since there are hundreds of options on the market, it might be difficult for you to choose the best pair for you. Read this Football Cleats Guide to be guided.
- Work hard and practice daily.
If you want to be good at something, you need to work hard for it. Practice playing football daily, and if it’s not possible because of work and other parts of life, just practice 2-3 days a week. The point is that you practice regularly.
You can be the best by training hard regularly and giving your all. However, this does not mean that you should practice hard to the extent that you hurt yourself. While it’s good to push yourself to your limits, it might not be healthy for you if it’s hurting you. To avoid straining yourself, take breaks while training.
- Join a team to build teamwork.
This will help you get an experience on how a game situation feels like. It will also create a good rapport between you and other members of your team playing different positions. When this bond is built, it can boost the team’s morale.
The key to being successful in football is to train consistently. Know how to train for football
and keep your determination to keep the fire burning deep within you.