Skip to content

Four Sexual and Reproductive Health Issues That Requires Seeing an OB/GYN

    Unless you are a sexual and reproductive health specialist, you may find it difficult to know what’s normal about it. In fact, you may not be able to tell some signs of a possible health issue. Although you may feel embarrassed about some issues, a New York board-certified OBGYN has seen a lot of patients and is there to help you. They specialize in this area of medicine and won’t ever judge you, no matter your issues. Often, you should see an OB/GYN when you experience the following issues:

    Painful Periods

    If you are like other women, your monthly period may be unpleasant. You may experience menstrual symptoms such as breast soreness, cramps, and headaches. For some women, their period pain may be quite intense. If you tend to experience painful periods that tend to get worse over time, you may be suffering from uterine fibrosis or endometriosis. You must see your gynecologist and discuss your experience, so they can give you the right solution for it.

    Vaginal Growth or Swelling

    Any growth around your labia or in your vagina can make you worry. It can be a pimple, ingrown hair, or a cut from shaving. But, sometimes it can be something more concerning. Usually, bumps are not benign and you’ll need to be examined by your doctor. Common concerns with growths women may experience include genital warts and herpes lesions and your gynecologist must examine you when you have an outbreak. 

    Vaginal Odor

    If your vagina smells strange such as foul or fishy for a few days, you should see your OB/GYN to determine the cause and the right treatment. Although it is normal to have an odor in your vagina, foul smells may indicate bacterial overgrowth or vaginal infection. 

    Sexual Discomfort

    Although bringing up sexual discomfort can be embarrassing, your doctor can explain and treat your issues. Your sexual discomfort can be due to the following:

    • Vaginal dryness- Usually, vaginal dryness depends on your age and mitigating factors in your life. If you have this problem and have been on birth control for a prolonged period, you may not have enough estrogen left, so you may have to change your birth control. If you are in the postmenopausal stage and have dryness, your doctor can prescribe vaginal estrogen. 
    • Painful sex- If you tend to experience pain during sex in any position you have tried, your vaginal dryness persists despite using lubricants, or you experience bleeding after intercourse, you need to see your OB/GYN.