Having a bright, dazzling smile brings confidence, which is why people strive to have white sparkling teeth. But with age, certain medications, and habits, come stains in our teeth. And that brings us to the option of artificially whitening the teeth without any harmful side effects.
If you want to whiten your teeth, you should know some facts and tips before going to the dentist campsie. This article shares some facts and information on teeth whitening.
What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is bleaching the teeth to give a lighter shade of their natural color. This means teeth whitening does not automatically make your teeth sparkling white; instead, it lightens the existing color of the teeth.
You can whiten your teeth by using a mouthguard alongside a bleaching gel. This method takes time and consistency to achieve a suitable result.
However, professional teeth whitening involves using a laser and bleaching agent (mainly a peroxide) to remove stains from the enamel. The dentist does most of the work, and it takes about an hour to complete it.
Is Teeth Whitening a One-time procedure?
The effects of teeth whitening can last between a couple of months and three years. It varies in individuals and depends on their habits. Tobacco, red wine, and coffee can make the process last but a few months.
What side effects can you experience?
After professional tooth whitening, your gums can be sensitive to cold. You can also experience sore throat, burns, and discomfort in the gums. But these effects should be gone after a few days.
Self-whitening kits can weaken the tooth enamel. If any side effects persist, you should see your dentist.
Five facts you should know about teeth whitening
- Some food, drink, and substances such as coffee, red wine, and tobacco can cause stains in the teeth.
- Irregular dental care can cause plaque to form, which can alter the color of your teeth over time.
- Genetic makeup determines the color and brightness of the teeth. This is why teeth whitening does not guarantee bright white teeth; it only lightens the existing shade.
- The primary ingredient in teeth whitening is peroxide -hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. The oxidation of the peroxide causes teeth whitening.
- Teeth whitening effects last longer when you avoid colored food and smoking.
Two Tips to note before whitening the teeth
- Consult a professional
There is a need for you to check your teeth before using any product or substance. To prevent the use of harmful substances, consult your dentist and have it done the right way. Do not allow uncertified individuals to whiten as it might cause irreversible damage to your teeth.
- Don’t buy unrecommended products.
Many products promise you white teeth; if your dentist does not recommend it, do not get it. This is because the concentration of the ingredients might be harmful to your teeth. Be careful not to put your teeth at risk.
It does not stop at teeth whitening. After whitening your teeth, steer clear of the habits that can cause teeth stains. And cultivate good oral hygiene.