What Is The Difference Between Full-Spectrum CBD And Broad-Spectrum CBD?
Cannabidiol (CBD) is available in three main types; full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum CBD and CBD isolates. All the three are different because of the difference in their components. We will look at the full-spectrum and broad-spectrum CBD.
CBD is a product of the cannabis plant, with CBD as the main compound of the product and 0.3 percent of THC. Zen Bliss CBD products have many health benefits like relieving chronic pain, stress and acting as antidepressants and antianxiety.
Our write-up is about the differences between the two types of CBD and their benefits.
Full-Spectrum CBD vs. Broad-Spectrum CBD
So, what’s the difference between these two CBD types?
Both CBD products vary in terms of the compounds they contain. Full-spectrum CBD has most of the cannabis plant extracts, together with 0.3 percent of the THC. THC is the compound in cannabis that makes people high, but its low levels do not make people hyperactive.
The other cannabis extracts available in a full-spectrum CBD are essential oils, terpenes, and cannabidiol.
Broad-spectrum CBD resembles its counterpart, Full-spectrum. However, this one does not contain THC. This type of CBD’s other compounds is cannabidiol (CBD), terpenes like pyrene and limonene, and other essential oils.
Although most brands do not include THC in these products, you might come across some with traces of THC.
Ways of Extracting CBD from Cannabis Plant
There are different ways of extracting CBD from the cannabis plant, including:
- Carbon Dioxide Extraction
Just like the name states, the extractors use carbon dioxide to separate CBD from cannabis. This is a trendy extraction method because you can get CBD in high concentrations with it.
- Steam Distillation
Extractors use steam to spate CBD from the plant material. Steam distillation mainly extracts the essential oils of the plants, but it is not as common as the carbon dioxide method.
- Solvent Extraction
This type of CBD extraction is effective. It is similar to the distillation method, although you use a solvent to separate the CBD oil from plant materials instead of water.
However, solvent extraction is a bit risky because the products pose a health concern, like increasing the chances of getting cancer to the consumers.
- Lipid Extraction
Most brands are running from carbon dioxide and solvent extraction to lipid extraction. The CBD product you will get from this extraction is full-spectrum. That is because the process does not include the separation of other components, including THC.
However, THC levels should be 0.3 percent, but some full-spectrum CBD products have higher amounts of THC.
Benefits of Full-Spectrum CBD
The full-spectrum CBD type has many benefits because it contains many compounds from the cannabis plant. Although it has THC levels, the levels are different with different brands, and some can be high.
Some of the components present in full-spectrum CBD are terpenes, which are essential because they give the product scent.
Full-spectrum CBD products are likely to have more health benefits than others because of many cannabis compounds. They also contain a lot of CBD, which has many health benefits.
- They have an antiseizure element. That is the reason most epilepsy patients use CBD products. Full-spectrum is common among CBD users because it maximizes all the benefits of CBD.
- CBD products work like antidepressants and antianxiety. They lower the levels of anxiety and depression, and they do not have the side effects that over-the-counter drugs pause to the patient.
- People also use them to relieve chronic pain. For example, CBD can increase the levels of anandamide; this is the compound that regulates pain in the human body. High levels of anandamide reduce pain and improve mood.
- People who have insomnia also use CBD to work as a sleep aid. The product controls cortisol levels, the stress hormone that causes a lack of sleep at night.
One disadvantage of the full spectrum type of CBD is that its high levels of THC might make you feel a bit high. However, not all full-spectrum doses make you feel intoxicated, only those with higher THC levels.
If you take a full-spectrum CBD product with high THC levels, you are also likely to test positive for a drug test.
Benefits of Broad-Spectrum CBD
Broad-spectrum CBD has all cannabis products except THC. The other products present in the compound are cannabidiol, cannabichromene, and terpenes. Some of the benefits of broad-spectrum CBD are;
- It is an antibiotic. Synthetic cannabidiol can break down biofilms. This is the slimy build-up of bacteria that protects them from antibiotic treatments. This is most common in dental plaques on teeth surfaces.
- Epilepsy patients also use broad-spectrum as antiseizure.
- Broad-spectrum CBD affects the activities of endocannabinoid receptors in the body to reduce inflammation.
Some brands make broad-spectrum CBD products with additional products like vitamins, which are suitable for health benefits.
This type of CBD is a good choice for people who want to avoid THC. Low levels or no amounts of THC will not read positive when you do a drug test.
Always ensure you purchase CBD products from a verified vendor and read the product labels. It is also important to contact a physician for advice. Also, note that products labeled to be THC-free could contain some traces of it.
Adverse Effects of CBD
Although CBD has many advantages, it also has some adverse effects. However, these effects are different for different people because of varying body chemical compositions. You will experience side effects like;
- Drowsiness and sedation. This mostly happens when you take it with alcohol or other medications like antianxiety and antidepressants.
- A decrease in appetite in some people
- Changes in alertness
- Diarrhea and vomiting
If you are taking other medication, talk to a doctor first before taking CBD for advice. These side effects do not take long before disappearing, but they are different for different people.
There are suggestions that full and broad-spectrum CBD products are effective than the other types because they contain most of the CBD compound. This is because the more components of cannabis a CBD type has, the more the benefits.