What is the right age to learn martial arts?
This would have to be the number one question that martial arts instructors get asked by parents. This question has the same answer as “what martial art should I choose for my kid?” – it depends on the individual school. A child-friendly martial arts school should provide a range of junior martial arts programs to suit all ages, even starting from as young as 18 months. If a school’s programs are structured to suit the age and ability of their students, with classes differentiated by age and ability, then kids of all ages can learn martial arts in an environment where they are encouraged to constantly improve in order to be the best they can be. A good example of well-structured, age appropriate curriculum can be found at Perth’s Premier Martial Art and Fitness Academy, which offers junior martial arts classes that are suited to all stages of a child’s development.
Their Mini Little Champions classes are designed to help kids from 18 months to 3 years learn to move their bodies in a coordinated manner and build a strong athletic foundation for later life. Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy’s Mini Little Champions program also helps kids learn to follow instructions, and how to interact with other children and adults. The movements involved in martial arts training will develop children’s coordination, strength, flexibility and overall fitness in a way that benefits them immediately.
Premier Academy’s next step up is the Little Champions – a specialised program of martial arts for kids aged from 3 to 6 years. Classes in this program are more structured in order developing the physical attributes of strength, coordination and flexibility, as well as enabling your child to learn focus, commitment, confidence and self-belief. Junior martial arts at Premier Academy are not all fun and games. Kids learn real, effective martial arts skills that they can use to protect themselves from bullies. Their Little Champions curriculum has been refined constantly over the past 20 years to the point where it is now the leading program for kids’ martial arts in Perth, if not the whole of Australia!
Children from the age of 6 to 12 years have very different needs to younger kids in their martial arts training. Martial arts training will provide a strong foundation for their continued physical and mental development. Perth’s Premier Martial Arts Academy offers classes differentiated by age and experience for their Junior Martial Arts program. Kids learn effective martial arts that will enable them to defend themselves as well as help them to develop into strong, confident teenagers. With a strong foundation of kicking and footwork provided by Taekwondo, plus techniques from other martial arts such as Boxing, Kick Boxing, Judo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and wrestling, their martial arts Academy provides Perth kids with opportunity to learn a true freestyle, mixed martial arts system. The traditional aspects of martial arts training are still preserved in order to develop respect, focus and self-discipline in our students.
Can you learn martial arts at any age?
The best time to start learning martial arts was 10 years ago. The second best time is right now! If you are interested in starting martial arts training but have been thinking that you’re too old then you are not alone. There are quite a number of adults who want to start, but don’t even make it onto the training floor – simply because they let their age stop them. But there’s the problem: if you don’t even try, you’ll never know what you’re missing out on! So if you’ve been thinking about training but are afraid of being too old, think about it this way – age is merely a number and it doesn’t define you or your ability to enjoy a challenge like training in the martial arts. Instead of just thinking about it, why not take the first step and try a class now at school like Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy?
Is learning martial arts worth it?
If you still need some more encouragement about the benefits of training in the martial arts at any age, here are the top 5 reasons why you start training right now:
1. Your biggest asset is your health and you should put it first!
It’s no secret that engaging in regular physical activity such as martial arts dramatically improve your health and fitness. Regular training at a quality school such as Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy will provide numerous health benefits such as improved strength and fitness, stronger bones, as well as a lower risk of contracting diseases. Apart from that, training martial arts would also strengthen your heart, boost your metabolism and melt away body fat, while toning your muscles. Why not start punching and kicking your way to a more radiant, youthful version of yourself?
2. Self-defence is an essential life skill
You can never emphasize enough the importance of self-defence. Even living in the safest country in the world doesn’t mean you are 100% safe from danger. You never know what or who is just around the corner, so it is better to be safe than sorry and equip yourself with the necessary skills to protect yourself and your loved ones in the face of danger. When you train martial arts, you’re not only learning the techniques you can use to defend yourself, but also gaining the ability to think on your feet and react calmly when faced with difficult situations.
3. The martial arts are for everyone
It is unfortunate that some people assume that martial arts is only for a specific kind of person – be it strong, fit and/or athletic. But here’s the thing: you don’t have to be all those things to start martial arts, because martial arts will help transform you into those things. All it really takes is that decision to start training and a commitment to stick to it. Regardless of gender, size, age and fitness level, there’s always a martial arts class schools such as Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy that can cater to your needs.
4. It’s time to challenge yourself
When was the last time you really pushed and went beyond your limits? There is no growth or improvement in the “comfort zone”! Martial arts training isn’t going to be easy, but when you persevere and press on in the face of your challenges, there’s nothing more rewarding than overcoming them. So why not challenge yourself this year, by taking the leap and going for that first martial arts class at a school like Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy? When you overcome your obstacles, there’s no doubt you will get much stronger as martial arts help to forge an unbreakable warrior spirit that you could carry along with you to all aspects of your life.
5. It’s never too late to get into the best shape of your life
The best part about martial arts is that it promotes continuous self-improvement, so your biggest priority is to improve by 1% every day. As a result, you would constantly be working towards becoming a better version of yourself. Every day is a new chance to work towards your goals, and martial arts can help you to get there. From the physical to mental and emotional changes, there’s no doubt that training at a school like Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy would help you to get into the best shape ever!
How to choose the right Martial Arts school at any age
There are so many different styles of martial arts – from taekwondo to karate to judo – and many different types of schools – from fulltime purpose built centres to rooms at the local community centre to someone’s garage! By focusing on the checklist below you can make sure you choose the right martial arts school to suit any age:
- Free trial lessons. Most good schools like Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy offer a free trial lesson or two, or a low cost introductory program. This is a great way to try out the school and see if it is a good fit.
- Professional, highly-trained instructors. Look for instructors who hold black belts recognised beyond the actual martial arts school, such as those certified by Taekwondo’s Kukkiwon. Another big positive is a school that has its own Instructor Training Program, and trains all of their instructors “in house”. For example, Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy only hires instructors that have completed their three year Leadership Program, in addition to gaining their black belt.
- Instructor to student ratios. Look for school’s that make sure that large classes have more than one instructor, especially in beginner’s classes. There is no ideal ratio, but schools with a ratio of one instructor per five or six students are ideal. All classes at Perth’s Premier Academy have at least two instructors on the floor at all times.
- Comprehensive, age-appropriate curriculum. Any martial arts school worth investing your time (and your money) in will have a comprehensive, age-appropriate curriculum. Their program will based on student’s mental growth as much as their physical development. Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy has a comprehensive Freestyle Mixed Martial Arts curriculum that is differentiated by age and experience level to provide the optimum training for all students.
- Classes differentiated by age and experience. The best possible class structure for a martial arts school will have all students training in classes divided by age and experience. This is essential for you to get the best possible outcome from your training. Perth’s Premier Academy offers over 150 classes every week, with classes Monday to Sunday for all ages and experience levels.
- Clean, safe training facilities. All martial arts schools should offer a clean and safe training environment for all students. The training floor should be fully matted, with range of age-appropriate punching and kicking targets available. There should be toilets and changing facilities available as well. For example – Perth’s Premier Academy provides a multi-floor, purpose built training centre with state of the art facilities.
- Flexible membership options. A good school will offer a range of membership options that you can choose from. While most schools will ask you to commit to a fixed membership term, this is not something that you should be wary of as training in the martial arts is all about commitment.
If you can find a school that checks all the above criteria, like Perth’s Premier Martial Arts and Fitness Academy, then you can be sure that you will be making the right choice!