Getting the pregnancy timing right is always dictated by ovulation. Ovulation happens when your body releases a mature egg and pushes it to the fallopian tube to await fertilization with a male sperm. This mature egg can only survive for 24-48 hours after leaving your ovary. It can be one egg or two for twins.
Therefore, if you want to get pregnant, you can only get the timing right if you are well aware of your menstrual cycle, ovulation days as well as your Fertile Window.
Your Fertile Window is six days towards your ovulation and the day of your peak ovulation. It usually reflects the lifespan of the male sperm, which is 5 days and the lifespan of the ovum, which is 24 hours.
How Ovulation Works?
A woman usually ovulates two weeks after the beginning of her period. However, note that not every woman ovulates and this often leads to fertility issues. Besides, others ovulate irregularly, meaning their ovaries do not release an egg every month.
Nonetheless, you still need to know how it works to be in a position to track it properly. This way you get the sex timing right for conception to occur.
Moreover, you are always most fertile during the three days leading up to your ovulation and the ovulation day itself. So if you have the average 28-day menstrual cycle. You are bound to ovulate on day 14 and be most fertile day 12, 13 and 14.
You mature egg can only be fertilized during ovulation. If conception does not occur then you will have your period.However, keep note that physical, mental and environmental issues affecting your body can disrupt your ovulation.
Also, note that ovulation and menstruation go hand-in-hand in a healthy woman, but few cases usually leave one ovulating without menstruating. This is very common among women with irregular periods.
In relation, some reproductive abnormalities can also make you menstruate without ovulating. However, it is never considered a true period. Doctors’ advice here would be necessary.
Therefore, being in tune with your ovulation and menstrual cycle can help you know your body and reproductive system very well.
Nonetheless, the fact remains that whenever you ovulate you are bound to get pregnant if you have sex at the right time, three days to and including the day of ovulation.
Likewise, you can time to have sex within your Fertile Window. This is six days leading to your ovulation and the ovulation day itself. This is because after this Fertile Window is through, you have a very small chance of conceiving.
How to Know When You Are Ovulating
You can tell when you are ovulating in several ways. Here are some of them.
- You can use an ovulation predictor kit a few days before your estimated ovulation day to know when you are most fertile
- Record your basal body temperature, BBT every morning. Temperatures are bound to rise ½ degree Celsius a day after ovulation. This way you can work out your ovulation pattern and its stages to be able to pinpoint your most fertile days for the next month(s)
- You can use an ovulation calculator for 3 months if you have regular periods. You just input the length of your menstrual cycle, first day of your last period, month and year. After which, you get your fertile window and peak ovulation for the next few months
- Always keep an eye for changes in your cervical mucus throughout your cycle. At ovulation, it is usually clearer, slick and slippery, like an egg white
- Sore or tender breasts can also help you know if you are ovulating, due to the hormones that are usually produced before and after ovulation
In conclusion, getting the timing right is not that hard. You just have to learn to read the signs of your body throughout your cycle and keep track of your menses and ovulation. This way if you are healthy with fit and normal reproductive systems pregnancy will not be an issue.