Starting a ketogenic diet can get somewhat confusing in terms of getting to know your body and its needs, adjusting to the sudden change in your carb intake, or simply following through your new diet plan.
Additionally, planning out your new meal plan can get hard due to the fact that not all the sources you come across say the same thing about what you can and cannot eat. Luckily, now that you’ve found this simple meal guide, you don’t have to worry about any of these!
The first thing to understand about the ketogenic diet is that it is, as a rule, strict in terms of carb intake. This means that your daily carb intake should not exceed 50 grams of net carbs. Now, this may sound dreadful when you first hear it, but it is quite the opposite!
Not only is lowering your carb intake healthy for you, but it is also not that hard to achieve. Just think about all the meats, cheeses and healthy veggies you can indulge in! Not to mention, there’s a variety of keto-friendly desserts you can make for you and your family!
But before getting into your new meal plan just yet, there is one thing to keep in mind, especially if you have not started your new diet just yet.
At the beginning of the life-changing experience that is the keto diet, you should know that your body probably won’t react to this sudden change in a positive way. There is a number of side effects you may experience, including nausea, inflammation, migraines or the keto flu.
The best way to avoid having to experience any of these downsides is to get some ketogenic supplements. They will help you get into ketosis quickly and will also help sustain your metabolism with an optimal amount of ketones.
When it comes to all the tasty keto-friendly meals you can start preparing right away, we’ve prepared a three-day meal plan.
- Breakfast: Bell pepper stuffed with cheese and eggs
- Lunch: A bunless grass-fed burger topped with cheese, mushrooms, and avocado
- Dinner: Pork chops with vegetables
- Breakfast: Coconut milk chia pudding topped with coconut and walnuts
- Lunch: Tuna salad with celery and tomato atop a bed of greens
- Dinner: Bison steak with cheesy broccoli
- Breakfast: Cauliflower toast topped with cheese and avocado
- Lunch: Caesar salad with chicken
- Dinner: Meatballs served with zucchini noodles and parmesan cheese
As you can see, all nine of these meals are easy to make and can be made using almost the same ingredients. Speaking of ingredients, you should know which ones are keto-friendly, and which ones to avoid!
- Fatty fish: Wild-caught salmon, herring and mackerel
- Poultry: Chicken and turkey
- Meat: Grass-fed beef, venison, pork, organ meats, and bison
- Condiments: Salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and spices
- Full-fat dairy: Yogurt, butter, and cream
- Full- fat cheese: Cheddar, mozzarella, brie, goat cheese, and cream cheese
- Eggs: Pastured, organic whole eggs will be the best choice for you
- Nut butter: Natural peanut butter, almond butter, and cashew butter
- Healthy fats: Coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut butter, and sesame oil
- Nuts and seeds: Macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and flaxseeds
- Non-starchy vegetables: Greens, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, and peppers
These 12 food groups are the ingredients for your meals in the future. Out of all of these, keep in mind that coconut oil will become your new best friend on your journey to health. It is as beneficial as it gets, and will help you maintain ketosis more easily!
As for the other food groups, all of them can be easily combined in case you’re anything like me and you’re not really the one to follow recipes. However, there are foods to avoid at all costs, some of which will even surprise you (e.g. citrus)! Without further ado, here are the food groups to bid goodbye:
- Bread and baked goods
- Sugar and sweets
- Sweetened beverages
- Starchy vegetables: potatoes, corn, peas, and pumpkin
- Beans and legumes
- High-carb sauces
- Alcoholic beverages such as beer or sugary mixed cocktails
When it comes to the choice of non-alcoholic drinks, you will be on the safe side with unsweetened coffee and tea, or water and sparkling water. As for the alcohol, make sure to check out this list of keto-friendly drinks to enjoy!
Using these simple tips and tricks, your diet should become effortless! As long as you make sure to eat enough protein and cut back on carbs, your diet’s results will come crashing in.
If you are looking for more information on ketogenic diets, make sure to visit Konscious Keto and get great pieces of advice. Happy dieting, everyone!